A game created in 48 hours for Global Game Jam 2019. I was in a team with four other talented designers, artists, musicians, and programmers. My role in this project was that of a programmer. I coded the AI for the enemies as well as a bunch of other gameplay related features.
The main challenge for this project was collaboration. A combination of bad source control merging and the way Unity handles prefabs meant that a lot of our changes weren't showing up for other people. This caused a lot of delays, but we managed to get a working game completed in the 48 hours we were given.
My first real attempt at making a commercial game that I would finish and release to the public. I documented the development of the game on my YouTube channel. The game was a solo project and I wanted to create all the assets from scratch. The only thing I didn't create myself was a few soundFX for the guns. It look much longer than anticipated to finish the game, but I stuck with it and even managed to push out an Android version.
There were too many challenges to count with this project, but I persisted and learnt a lot in the process. My biggest challenge though would have to be the internal design of the game and how I could make all the systems work together to make something that was fun and replayable. I got pretty close, but I think there's room for improvement in this aspect.
Green Horizons concept design by René Mitchell - Lambert.
I was approached by a friend to make a game that was all about exploration and turning a desolate planet into a thriving ecosystem. The idea was that you play as a spherical droid, planting seeds that grow and spread vegetation across the planet. My role for this project was that of a programmer. It was just me and him (who was the designer/project manager), so I was responsible for coding the entire game. I coded a terrain generation system that was virtually endless, and the player character who would traverse the vast rolling hills. I also created a few shaders for the terrain and water.
My biggest challenge for this project was not the coding (that part I really enjoyed), but the actual design of the game. I didn't feel like the core gameplay was good enough to justify spending so much time developing the game. I had to tell my friend that I wouldn't be continuing its development, and so the project was put on hold.