A game created in 48 hours for Global Game Jam 2019. I was in a team with four other talented designers, artists, musicians, and programmers. My role in this project was that of a programmer. I coded the AI for the enemies as well as a bunch of other gameplay related features.
The main challenge for this project was collaboration. A combination of bad source control merging and the way Unity handles prefabs meant that a lot of our changes weren't showing up for other people. This caused a lot of delays, but we managed to get a working game completed in the 48 hours we were given.
My first real attempt at making a commercial game that I would finish and release to the public. I documented the development of the game on my YouTube channel. The game was a solo project and I wanted to create all the assets from scratch. The only thing I didn't create myself was a few soundFX for the guns. It look much longer than anticipated to finish the game, but I stuck with it and even managed to push out an Android version.
There were too many challenges to count with this project, but I persisted and learnt a lot in the process. My biggest challenge though would have to be the internal design of the game and how I could make all the systems work together to make something that was fun and replayable. I got pretty close, but I think there's room for improvement in this aspect.
Green Horizons concept design by René Mitchell - Lambert.
I was approached by a friend to make a game that was all about exploration and turning a desolate planet into a thriving ecosystem. The idea was that you play as a spherical droid, planting seeds that grow and spread vegetation across the planet. My role for this project was that of a programmer. It was just me and him (who was the designer/project manager), so I was responsible for coding the entire game. I coded a terrain generation system that was virtually endless, and the player character who would traverse the vast rolling hills. I also created a few shaders for the terrain and water.
My biggest challenge for this project was not the coding (that part I really enjoyed), but the actual design of the game. I didn't feel like the core gameplay was good enough to justify spending so much time developing the game. I had to tell my friend that I wouldn't be continuing its development, and so the project was put on hold.
Web & Graphic Design
Originally designed and build by CodeFish Studio, FaceCruit is an online video interview platform for employers and job seekers alike.
An employer creates a job and can invite candidates to record a series of video responses. Alternatively, you can sign up as a job seeker and create a video resume that you can share with anyone.
My role for this project was to update the video recording system from Flash to HTML5 and make code and layout adjustments as requested by the client. The video recording system was a complex beast, requiring a deep understanding of the code previously written, and an even deeper understanding of the HTML5 video component. The code to make this work required saving the video to a stream, then uploading it in chunks as videos tend to be too large to upload in one http request. This was no easy task, but I put in the hard work and got the results they were hoping for.
Karen had started a business around her passion for Reflexology, but was only using a Facebook page for her online presence.
She wanted a website in order to have an official online presence and to make her business look more legitimate.
I designed Karen's website to look contemporary with a hint of colour and personality without being too over the top. Karen's website included a contact form and Google Map so people could find and get in contact with her. Another piece of functionality was the appointment booking. This simply pre-fills the contact page with a message to arrange an appointment.
Photography is currently just a hobby of mine, but it comes in handy when my web clients need some photos for their website.